Credit.com Announces Winners in Second Installment of "The Best Credit Cards in America" Series
San Francisco, CA — July 13, 2011 — Credit.com, a leading consumer education and financial resource website, today announced the winners in the second installment of its best-in-class series, “The Best Credit Cards in America.” This installment features Credit.com’s picks for the “Best Student Credit Card” and the “Best Secured Credit Card.”
"The Best Credit Cards in America" series is the brainchild of nationally recognized credit card expert Beverly Blair Harzog, and is designed to give users a quick reference to the most "consumer friendly" cards in the marketplace. Harzog examines a variety of credit card categories and designates the best cards within that group. Cards are rated based upon a unique formula of 41 separate metrics that compare the cards’ costs and benefits.
“College is a great time to learn how to use credit responsibly. It’s vital that parents stay involved and educate their kids about credit card use -- don’t just turn them loose with a student card,” advises Harzog. “If your child isn’t ready for a credit card, a secured card is a good place to start. It’s like a credit card on training wheels.”
And for those with bad credit, “a secured credit card is like a lifeline,” says Harzog. “Many consumers suffered terribly during the recession and are working to get back on their feet financially. Their credit history may be in ruins -- using a secured credit card responsibly can help these consumers advance, over time, to an unsecured credit card where they will get better terms and features.”
BEST STUDENT CREDIT CARD:
- Winner: Discover Student More Card, built with Discover’s CardBuilder tool (Harzog used CardBuilder to create a student card with up to 5% rewards and a 12-month 0% intro rate)
- 1st Runner-up: PenFed Visa Platinum Cash Rewards for Students
- 2nd Runner-up: Journey Student Rewards from Capital One
BEST SECURED CREDIT CARD:
- Winner: Orchard Bank Secured Credit Cards (both Classic MasterCards and Visa Cards)
- 1st Runner-up: Navy Federal Credit Union nRewards Secured Credit Card (*Note: To apply, consumers must be associated with the military, either directly or related to someone in the military; if not for that, this card would have won.)
- 2nd Runner-up: Citi Secured MasterCard
Read a full synopsis of the winners and methodology of the second installment of the “Best Credit Cards in America.” Learn more about previous winners in the "Best Credit Cards in America" series.
Credit.com provides straightforward news, tools, education and products to help consumers make smarter financial decisions. Credit.com was established in 1995 with the goal of helping consumers with any credit standing to establish, rebuild, enhance and effectively use credit. Our industry experts create clear paths for consumers looking to improve their finances. For more information, go to Credit.com.
Director of Public Relations
(917) 554 2103 mobile
natalia (at) credit (dot) com