Home > Managing Debt > Help! I Found a Judgment on My Credit Report

Comments 117 Comments
Advertiser Disclosure


It’s scary enough to owe money you can’t pay back, but what may be even worse is finding out that you have already been sued for a debt, but didn’t even know it.

Mark wrote on the Credit.com blog:

I received a letter stating there was a judgment against me from 9-13-2006 and they’re trying to get a wage verification from my employer, so they can garnish my wages. This is seven years old and I don’t ever remember being made aware of this. What can I do?

Another reader, Leslie, asked about a judgment she knew nothing about:

I live in Texas and just recently divorced, Nov 2012. I had no income for the past 17 years. I just discovered a judgment has been made against me for a loan at a credit union. I was the primary account holder of the checking account and had to be put on the loan in order for my husband to get it. I was never served anything for this judgment and had no idea it was on there until I had to refinance my home after the divorce. Do I have any recourse for this or do I just need to bite the bullet and work something out with them?

A judgment is a decision by a court describing the outcome of a lawsuit. Any amounts owed will be described in the judgment. With a judgment the creditor often has the ability to go after wages, bank accounts or other property to collect the judgment, depending on state law.

How to Find If You Have a Judgment Against You

In most cases, when a creditor gets a judgment against a consumer it will be reported on the consumer’s credit reports. That’s because court judgments are a matter of “public record” — information available to the public through the courts. That information, like bankruptcy or foreclosure data, is collected by companies that provide it to the credit reporting agencies.

Your first line of defense, then, is to check your credit reports. At a minimum, order your free credit reports from all three credit reporting bureaus once each year. Judgments will typically be listed under the section describing negative items on your report.

In addition, though, it’s smart to monitor your credit score each month which you can do for free through a service such as Credit.com’s free Credit Report Card. If a judgment does appear, you will want to know as soon as possible, for several reasons, not the least of which is that your score will likely drop significantly.

Your Options

What if you check your credit reports and find there is a judgment against you? You generally have three options.

1. Fight it.

Before a creditor gets a judgment against you, it must typically serve you with the summons and complaint. The procedure varies by state and by court, explains Robert Hobbs, deputy director of the National Consumer Law Center. Examples include “personal service” where the summons and complaint must be hand-delivered to the person being sued or “abode” service, where they serve notice on the last known residence, to a person of suitable age. A description of different types of service can be found on the California courts website, though again, keep in mind that the type of service required in your case will depend on several different factors.

“If a person hadn’t been properly served and knows the legal process, then they can type up a motion to vacate a judgment or a motion to set aside a judgment,” says Hobbs. “Then there will be a hearing.” But even if the judgment is successfully set aside or vacated, it may not be the last the debtor hears about the matter. “It may start all over again,” he warns.

Trying to handle this yourself can be tricky. “The truth is there is a reason that we have law school,” Hobb says. “The collection attorneys have gone to law school. They win hundreds of cases every week, thousands a year.”

But that doesn’t mean debtors shouldn’t fight back if they believe they have been the victim of improper service (sometimes referred to as “sewer service”). In 2009, for example, then New York Attorney General Andrew M. Cuomo’s office sued 35 law firms and two debt collectors in New York State in order to throw out an estimated 100,000 default judgments improperly obtained against New York consumers.

A consumer law attorney may be able to help you determine if you have a case against the creditor or collector who sued you to obtain the judgment. Most offer low-cost or free consultations and charge reasonable fees.

2. Pay if off or settle it.

If your financial circumstances have changed since the time you fell behind on the debt, you may now be able to pay the judgment, either in full or for less than you owe as part of a negotiated settlement. Make sure the creditor files a “Satisfaction of Judgment” with the court indicating that it has been paid. When you pay in full, they are required to do so within a specific time period, so don’t be afraid to push for that.

If you negotiate a settlement, ask the creditor or collection agency to agree to file a satisfaction of judgment when you pay the agreed upon amount. “Get everything documented” suggests Michael Bovee, founder of Consumer Recovery Network. “What I am seeing is that sometimes it’s not always followed through on. If the court records haven’t been updated within 60 days or so, you may have to file your own motion with the court.”

Paid judgments can be reported for seven years from the date that they were entered by the court, while unpaid judgments can be reported until the statute of limitations has expired — a much longer time period in most cases. That means that if the judgment is more than 7 years old, as in Mark’s case above, paying it should result in it being removed from your credit reports. It may take a little while, though, for the court and credit reporting agencies records to be updated. You should expect results within no later than 60 days after you have paid it.

3. Wipe it out in bankruptcy.

If there is simply no way you can pay the judgment and you don’t want it hanging over your head indefinitely, find out whether you can discharge some or all of it (erase it) by filing for bankruptcy. Most court judgments can be included in bankruptcy.

Whatever you do, don’t ignore a judgment. In most states, judgment creditors have 10 years or more to collect, and can renew judgments that remain unpaid for another decade — or longer. And that means at any time you may find your bank account or wages at risk (again, depending on state law). One of our readers wrote:

I have 2 judgments for credit card debt. One has already started garnishing some money from my bank checking account. I’m unemployed and there is very little money in that account.

To avoid an unpleasant — and potentially expensive — surprise, find out if there is a judgment against you. If there is, find a way to put it behind you.

More on Managing Debt:

Image: iStockphoto

Comments on articles and responses to those comments are not provided or commissioned by a bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by a bank advertiser. It is not a bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Please note that our comments are moderated, so it may take a little time before you see them on the page. Thanks for your patience.

  • Freddy Castro

    what if the debt is from 2 different credit cards? is the S.O.L based on each separated or combined? how does it work?

    • Jeanine Skowronski

      It could vary, depending on whether the cards were from two different issuers. Two different issuers would likely result in separate judgements.



      • Freddy Castro

        thanks for the anwser, yes they are from 2 different companies. My other question is: If living out of the country for part of the time is taking as a toll or pause on the SOL? or no matter where you are in the US or outside the time should run normal. thanks again

        • Jeanine Skowronski

          With regards to your second question, you may want to consult a consumer attorney to learn what laws may apply.



  • Beth Durham

    Hi- I have an unpaid judgement on my credit report from 7 years ago, and would like to pay it, but am not sure of where to start. It is scheduled to fall off my credit report in March 2016- should I wait untli after it falls off? I don’t want to do undue harm to my credit report/credit score, and also am not sure- should I offer the full amount, try to negotiate a lesser amount? Just not sure where to start and with whom (the original creditor or the collection attorney they used?) Thank you for any guidance

    • Jeanine Skowronski

      Hi, Beth,

      If the debt is with the collection agency, you would likely have to try to negotiate a payment plan with them. Paying the debt should not restart the debt on your credit report.



  • Aubrey

    My husband and I began looking through our credit reports (we’d previously checked a couple of times a year, I don’t know how we missed this!) and he has a judgment on his report from 2014 – that was paid within days of the judgment being issued. I understand that the Judgment will stay on his credit report for up to 7 years, however I also understand that with time it’s impact is supposed to lessen on his score. My question now is that because it was satisfied 2 years ago next month and the credit card company said they’d update the court/credit bureaus will it be retro back to the January 2014 date as satisfied and effectively reflect the two years it has been satisfied, or will it look like it is brand new, just recently satisfied and have little or no positive impact on his score based on the time that has actually lapsed?

    • Jeanine Skowronski

      HI, Aubrey,

      It should stay on seven years from the first delinquency, not when you repaid.



  • PayYourBills

    Here’s a tip – pay your bills. My wife is constantly chasing deadbeats who happily steal from her by using her services and then do not pay. When you don’t pay your bills, you are STEALING from someone else. It is no different than robbing a bank. Your sob stories do not give your the right to stiff those people who have done work for you, or provided you with goods. You agreed to pay. Pay.

  • Heather

    Hi. I had a judgment from Oct 2009 just show up on my credit report today. It was paid in full in Jan 2012. Is the 7 year period from 2009 when it was originally filed, 2012 when it was paid off, or 2015 when it was first reported? I had just gotten everything negative off my credit report, too. 🙁

    • http://www.credit.com/ Credit.com Credit Experts

      It should be seven years from when it was filed.

      • Heather

        Is there any reason they would wait 6 years to put it on my credit report? It was not there before.

        • Kathy Curdie

          I am wondering the same thing. I had a judgement against me went to the court date and the landlord and I settled before we went in front of the judge, this was in 2010. Two years later it shows up on my report showing unpaid. I finally got that corrected, however, I am wondering why it would even be a judgement since we agreed before going in front of the judge. Also wonder how long it will stay on my report, now it shows I paid in 2014 in which I actually paid 2010 before going in front of the judge.

  • Fane

    I have a “Paid Judgement” filed as a public record on my credit files. The case was file 2010 and it was paid in August 2014 (had never been on my credit files even during the course of paying it off). I am confused how it is a year later, that, this has been placed o my credit files. What can I do?

    • Jeanine Skowronski

      Hi, Fane,

      Negative information generally takes seven years to age completely off a credit report. You can find more about how collections hurt your credit score here:


      Thank you,


      • Fane

        Hello Jeanine, thank you but the problem I have encounter is this. There was a small claims case filed in 2010. I went to court, the case was settled in mediation and to remain on administrative docket file until 2016. However, it was never placed on my credit file in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014. It was placed on my credit files October 2015. And it was paid off in August 2014. The credit bureaus tried to make it seem like the Courts sent this information 5 years later to add to public records and I went to the Courts to find out this is not true. I have since then filed my complaints with the Attorney’s General’s Office because to wait 5 years after the submission of the case is strange. So I am fighting it. I am also disputing it with the credit bureaus because they have a date of 2014 when in fact it was 2010.

  • ana

    Hi, there is a judgement on my credit report from Discover that says its through the Harris County courthouse but I never got served and I don’t find it on the public records for Harris County Courts. How can I get it removed?

  • jade

    I have an unpaid judgement on my credit report from a condo association- when i use to own a condo there. On my report it states “in dispute- NO”. The date filed is dated: Dec 1, 2009. Is this something that stay on my report forever? My condo has foreclosed during that time.

    • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

      It will likely remain for seven years from the filing date.

  • Joyce

    Hi I had some bad credit that was on my report and has since dropped off I just got a call at my work received by my boss from a collection company saying they wanted a call back regarding policies and procedures on having a court official dispatch service for legal document to an employee. I was so embarrassed to be pulled into the office and asked if I understood what this was. I had no idea, she gave me the number and I called. To find out this was from 2008 a credit card I had and was now charged off and they were trying to find me to bring me to court. RI has a ten year sol. I wanted to know if I don’t pay this can it be put back on my credit as a public record

    • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

      This sounds very suspicious. It’s unusual for a collector to call and talk to your employer about serving you at work. Who is this collection agency? Are you sure this isn’t a scammer trying to scare you into paying? I can’t say for sure it is, but it sure sounds fishy.

      As to your question about your credit reports, if they did take you to court and get a judgment then the judgment can appear on your credit reports. But they would have to serve you and you would have the chance to appear in court.

      Please proceed with caution here. I’d hate to see you scammed. 9 Signs You Are Talking to a Debt Collection Scammer

  • Confused

    I was 4 days from closing and come to find out, that l have 2 hidden judgements one 2006and2008 I am a first time home buyers and don’t understand what comes next

    • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

      You’ll need to talk with your loan officer to find out whether he or she has a plan to help you rescue the loan. Your loan officer will know the details of your application and what your options are.

  • Tiffany Elise

    I tried to get my first credit card and was denied because they saw I was reported to a collection agency. I recall one phone call I received 1 year ago of a lady telling me I owe about $100 for a water bill at a house I had not lived at for 2 or more years. This person did not identify her name, or that she was a collector. so I thought it was a scam maybe someone trying to steal my identity and I hung up. Never received another phone call no papers in the mail either. What are my rights? I believe I am being treated unfairly. I was not properly notified of this debt.

  • Erin

    What if the contact number of the attorney the court gives you to settle the debt with can not locate any of your information?

    • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

      Ask them to file a release and satisfaction since they cannot verify the judgment. If they won’t, ask the court what forms you need to fill out to request that it be withdrawn. if you can’t get anywhere on your own you may need to ask a consumer protection attorney for advice.

  • Jessica Willard

    I have been contacted and reminded I have a judgement from a dentist from work done 8 years ago! ! I was a 17 yr old mother not working 8 years ago. I completely forgot all about this judgement as I haven’t been contacted in 7 years, ever since the judgement took place. Well it has abruptly appeared in my life and they are coming after me hard & aggressively. It was 800$ of actual dental work and like 100 dollars per half hour of missed appointments and a lot of interest so now I’m at 2,000$. I was in contact with a bill collector I told him I would make 50$ monthly payments. I sent in my first payment he received it in the mail 11 days after I said I would send in a Payment ,Wasn’t Fast Enough For Him, He Gave My Case To A lawyer. Now the lawyer wants 500 dollars tomorrow and to make 65$ monthly payments. He attempted to freeze my bank account but I took my money out before he froze it. My question is with this judgement being 7 years old is there a statue of limitations? A certain time period they have to leave me alone? If they garnish my wages for my job are they able to take my entire check each week? My dental insurance was cut off without my knowledge and the dentist didn’t inform me I no longer had insurance and would be responsible for hundreds of dollars, on top of that the tooth he “fixed” had to be done again because it wasn’t done right by him according to my dentist. And to top it off I have thousands and thousands of dollars in dental work that I still need done but can’t afford. But I have to some how afford crappie work from 8 years ago. So questions are, is there statue of limitations in maryland for this situation? How much longer can these money hungry rich people come after me? And if wages are garnished will they take my entire check weekly or just some? It would be insane if they could take my entire check , as if I don’t have a child to take care of or rent to pay or daycare or food and so forth. This is rather sickning. Mostly because I never did it intentionally. My ex had my insurance through the military and when we broke up he cut it off when I was getting a root canal procedure done.

    • http://www.credit.com/ Credit.com Credit Experts

      Jessica —
      Sorry to hear you are in such a tough situation.

      Judgments are typically renewable, and it appears that in Maryland, a judgment is good for 12 years. If your wages are garnished, they will not take the entire paycheck. How much they can take varies by county, but it is intended to leave enough for basic expenses, according to the Nolo website.

  • Don

    My brother and sister in law have a judgement against them from a hospital. There is no dispute over owing the money. He has cancer and Social Security administration held him off giving him disability for over 2 years, as he was going to court to fight for it they gave it to him. But by that time the hospital bill was over a million dollars. They said they knew he couldn’t pay this but had to put a judgement against them. My question is is the judgement for just his house or everything they own?
    Thank you

    • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

      The state they live in will in part determine what property is exempt, or protected, from creditors. Florida and Texas residents, for example, may benefit from a generous homestead exemption. And in all states certain retirement money is protected. They can meet with a consumer bankruptcy attorney to find out what is safe and what isn’t, and to discuss whether bankruptcy might be appropriate to put this behind them.

  • Shannon

    I found out I have a judgement from 2001 on my public record that I cosigned on they issued it in Multnomah county OR and it expired in 2012 but then they entered a foreign judgement in Clark county WA.I was unaware of this it never has shown up on my credit report nor have I evre gotten anything about it it was 8000 in 2001 now they want 34,000 there is no way I have that kind of money.I have no way of getting a hold of the person I cosigned for and now this is preventing me from refinancing my house is there anything I can do or any options 14 years at 24% interest is crazy I have no clue what became of the car I signed for or anything about this it has been so long a go I need help please

    • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

      Shannon, as much as I would like to help you really need to talk with a consumer law attorney. This is now a judgment and you need to get legal advice. If you need help finding an attorney visit the National Association of Consumer Advocates website.

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    Contact the court to find out if there is a way to resolve it with them directly.

  • Ana Williamson

    I had a judgement awarded against me 3 yrs ago for a credit card bill that had past the statute of limitations in California. I was never informed or given notice or served with anything regarding the suit. I just received a letter from an asset collection agency stating they were attempting to collect on this judgement. Now being informed I looked up my name in county records and sure enough it’s there from 3 yrs ago! How can I dispute this 3 yr old judgement and get a new trial? I’m currently disabled, but not collecting disability, and my family is taking care of me for the next few yrs. I don’t have any savings or a job during my rehabilitation. The stress and surprise of this judgment is stressful. Also, after reading the collection agency’s letter, I did pull up my free credit report but no “judgement” has been filed on any of the 3 credit bureaus. I’m totally confounded at this point. Please advise of the best option I may have. My disability may impair me for years to come, as it had for the past 3 yrs, and I’m not sure I will live a long time but still would like some feedback pertaining to my circumstance. Thank you.

    • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

      You’ll want to talk with a consumer law attorney. If the collection agency did not properly serve you it may be possible to get the judgment vacated, and it may even be possible that you are entitled to damages. But this is a difficult process to do yourself. If you are in Southern California, you can check out Bob Brennan’s site SoCalCreditDamages.com. He often answers questions from our readers and is knowledgeable in these areas. If you are in another part of the state, visit the website of the National Association of Consumer Advocates. If the attorney cannot help you then you can come back and we’ll try to suggest other ideas, but that’s the place to start.

      • Ana Williamson

        Thank you so much for your advice! I’m in northern California so I’ll look into the Nat Assoc of Consumer Affairs for my area.

  • Houston

    One of my credit reports show that I have satisfied a judgement but the same judgment on another report, only says filed. How do I get the reports to match?

    • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

      Have you tried disputing the one that does not indicate it is satisfied? I’d suggest first disputing it with the credit reporting agency. If that doesn’t work, let us know.

  • adam

    Ok so I’m going for a home loan and when the the bank did a title search they found a judgement against me from 2005, I was told that I could get a satisfactory of judgment letter without paying for the debt owed do to the status of limitations law. Just wondering if anyone knows if that’s true

    • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

      Yes, it’s possible if the statute of limitations for the judgment has expired. That varies by state.

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    You’ll need to consult a consumer law attorney to find out what was required in terms of serving you with the notice of the lawsuit and whether they complied. It’s a little complicated in your situation because you moved and venue issues may be involved. But given the amount of money involved it may be worth it, particularly if it was a private student loan where the statute of limitations may have expired. I’d recommend you at least get a consultation with a consumer law attorney experienced in student loan law. You can look for one at the website of the National Association of Consumer Advocates and/or The Student Loan Lawyer website.

  • angie

    I have a judgment against me for $600 from a individual. we went to court back in 2009 and I was ordered to pay in which I did but it was never reported that I payed. I have contacted that person several times to call the courts and report that I payed in full. Well I cant get a response from them. I called my bank for proof and they don’t keep records on closed acct passed 5 years. I really need this off my credit? I don’t know what else to do?

    • http://consumerrecoverynetwork.com/ask-a-question/ Michael Bovee

      Talk to a local attorney and look into how to file what you need to (the the judgment has been paid/satisfied) with the court yourself.

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    Is it on his credit reports? Also this newer article describes how to get information on a judgment: I Found a Judgment on My Credit Report. Now What?

    Judgments are often settled. Whether or not the judgment creditor will settle, and what they will accept, is hard to say but they may be willing to take a settlement in order to get cash now.

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    There’s information on how to research judgments in this article: I Found a Judgment on My Credit Report. Now What?

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    Apologies for the delay in responding. We asked one of our contributors who is an attorney to write a story on this topic and he expanded it into a comprehensive story on judgments. I hope this helps!

    I Found a Judgment on My Credit Report. Now What?

  • Concerned

    My fiancé had a judgement placed against him for a debt unpaid from a credit card. He paid the amount in full. It’s been about 2 months and they are still garnishing his wages. He has called the collections agency many times but they keep telling him the same thing when he asks if and when they will stop taking money out of every paycheck, and asking if they will repay him back the money they have been taking out. They always give him the same answer… Like everybody else we too have responsibilities (rent, food, children, bills etc) that we need to take care of. What can we do to get them to stop garnishing his wages?!?
    Thank you very much

    • http://www.credit.com/ Credit.com Credit Experts

      Does he have documentation that the amount is paid in full? He may need to talk with a consumer law attorney.

      • Concerned/grateful

        Thank you so much for your response!
        He has proof of it being paid in full by his bank statement. Should he make copies of his bank statement, and every other communications between debt collector etc and file a “Satisfaction of Judgement” with our local county clerk?
        I’ve read online that after 15 days after the debt being paid off that the collections agency must file an “Awknowledgment of satisfaction of judgement” confirming with the court that the debt has been paid. Is this true? If this is true, what do you suggest we do if they have not complied with this law?

        ~Incredibly grateful

        • http://www.credit.com/ Credit.com Credit Experts

          You may need to talk with a consumer law attorney. Laws vary among states. You can find one at NACBA,
          the National Association of Consumer Advocates website. Good luck to you in getting this behind you.

          • Concerned

            Thank you very much for your recommendation and your help!!

          • http://www.credit.com/ Credit.com Credit Experts

            You’re most welcome

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    To get a judgment they have to take you to court and sue you first. Did you get notified about a lawsuit?

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    You can try disputing it but this is public record information and if it’s not corrected with the court it can continue to haunt you.

    His failure to file the release forms may be illegal. Did you pursue that?

    • ginger rose

      Yes I did, but it has been unfruitful. Equifax has marked the judgment as satisfied after disputing. Waiting to hear back from the other 2.

      • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

        Have you checked with the court to find out what you can do? For example, in California you can file proof you paid and request the court to enter the satisfaction of judgment, and you can also sue the plaintiff for failure to file the satisfaction of judgment.

  • John

    Buyer beware: always do a title search before buying property.

  • Lynn Russell

    I disputed the status of a judgment listed on my credit report. The status said pending or not paid even though the judgment was paid.
    Luckily 2 out of the 3 removed the judgment completely from my credit report but one didn’t and only updated the status. Is there a way to notify the 3rd CRA that the other 2 have removed the judgment rather than trying to explain or re-dispute it again but ask the 3rd to remove it for the reasons of the other 2 have removed it? I understand they have a right to not remove it even if it was paid and likely got lucky that the other two removed it.

    • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

      You can try providing the one that didn’t remove it with the results from the others, but I have no idea if it will help. They are required by law to conduct their own investigation and for whatever reason they were able to confirm it when the other two didn’t.

  • shaloni7

    I contacted the courts with the case number found on my credit report. they gave me the number for the debt collector. The debt collector informed me that my ex husband accepted service for both of us in 3/2012 (we were divorced 1/12). So i called the courts back and ordered a copy of the order. The defendant is my ex husband my name is no where on the court order but the judgment appears on my credit report and they are threatening to garnish my wages. Am i responsible for the debt if i am not even listed as a defendant? should this even be on my credit report? Can they garnish my wages?

    • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

      It sounds very fishy. I would recommend you talk with a consumer law attorney. If they deceptively obtained that judgment you may be able to get it vacated and it’s possible you are entitled to damages. You can search for one on the National Association of Consumer Advocates website.

  • Kim Donnelly Earl

    Can you find out what the judgement is for online? If so where do I go to find out what it is?

    • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

      Hi Kim – I checked with Atlanta consumer bankruptcy attorney Jonathan Ginsberg and here is what he had to say:

      “Most judgments against individuals are issued by state courts and, to my knowledge, there is no central repository of records. Not all courts have online access and the ones that do have their own systems, see, for ex. Fulton County, Georgia is here: http://fultonstate.org/onlinerecords.php

      Generally credit reports will reveal the existence of judgments – that is the most cost effective place to search. I would suggest that anyone looking download all 3 credit reports from annualcreditreport.com.”

      Once you find the name of the court where it was entered you can then contact them to find out how you can get more information. Hope that helps!

  • alex hernandez

    My mother was a victim of identity theft, we did a police report a few years ago. We were able to remove all the bad credit items except for the judgment from a department store. She never receive a summons since I’m sure it was sent to a different address. There is a judgment on her credit report. How can this be removed. We live in southern California, and the judgment was from a California court.

    • http://www.credit.com/ Credit.com Credit Experts

      Alex —

      What a mess . . . sorry to hear you are going through all this, but glad your mother has an ally in getting it all taken care of.

      We would advise talking with a consumer law attorney about how you could get the judgment against your mother vacated.

      Good luck to you, and please let us know how it works out.

  • JLJ

    I fall into the “just found out” category. In doing something for my job I pulled up my credit report. The notices were all sent to my ex-husbands home. He never notified me of the notifications or the court date so a joint judgement was granted. As soon as I found out I called the creditor and my portion of this bill has been paid in full. He has a court date at the end of the month to determine whether the creditor can garnish his wages and I need to make sure that my name not attached to this garnishment and also removed from the joint judgement. How do I go about doing this?

    • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

      Please talk with a consumer law attorney to find out how you can protect yourself. I know it may feel like throwing good money after bad but if they get a judgment against you it will be far worse. If you are having trouble finding an attorney I suggest you use the search function on the websites of the National Association of Consumer Advocates or the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys.

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    So sorry for you loss.

    With regard to the first question about the judgment – did you sign any paperwork agreeing to financial responsibility when you checked her into the nursing home? It sounds like you were sued and didn’t respond to notice of the lawsuit. If you couldn’t attend, the best course of action would have been to contact the court to try to find out what your options were. Unfortunately, a judgment is not easy to set aside. That’s not saying it can’t be if there are grounds for it, but you’ll probably need to talk with a consumer law attorney to see whether they had the right to sue you in the first place.

    Since your mother has died, her estate must go through the probate process proscribed by your state. Creditors can try to collect from assets of the estate. Although she willed the house to you, it sounds like this is part of the estate and therefore may be available to creditors.

    I urge you to try to find an estate planning attorney who can guide you through this process. It can become complicated quickly and I’d hate to see you make financial mistakes because you don’t understand how the process works.

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    It is a great question! We turned it into a story here: Can A Debt Collector Go After My PayPal Account?

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    If you are having trouble finding an attorney I suggest you use the search function on the websites of the National Association of Consumer Advocates. Hope that helps!

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    It’s not easy to challenge judgments, but if you weren’t properly served it may be possible to get it vacated. But it’s going to be difficult to do on your own. You may need to at least talk with a consumer law attorney to get their advice. We wrote about that in this article: How to Kill Zombie Judgments on Your Credit Report

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    You need to find out what the laws are in your state for filing a satisfaction of judgment. If the judgment creditor must take care of this within a certain time period and doesn’t, they could be breaking the law. (This varies by state.) Given that there a large loan on the line here I would recommend you at least talk with a consumer law attorney. If you are having trouble finding an attorney I suggest you use the search function on the websites of the National Association of Consumer Advocates or the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys.

  • Jess

    Hi I currently have a open judgment against me. Where they are garnishing my wages. Due to a eviction. I wasn’t living there anymore just my ex boyfriend. I personally never got served or notified of this matter. When I called the land lord to inform him that I had moved. He stated that he couldn’t remove me from the lease because I paid majority of the rent. My ex refused to move out. 3 years later I received notice of garnishing my wages. I need to find the best way to resolve this matter. Help please

    • http://www.credit.com/ Credit.com Credit Experts

      Jess —
      We are not lawyers, and it sounds as if you need legal advice. Your local legal aid society may be able to help.

  • Im2Old4This

    I was just contacted today (1-13-2015) by a CC company saying they were going to place a judgement against me for an unpaid balance from 1998! I couldn’t even remember having such a card, but they said it was under my SS#. I said I would have to check my Credit Report because I was not aware of such a CC. I was told it was not on my credit report because it was marked unpaid and dropped off but now was going to be reinstated and a judgement placed against me.

    After 17 years? Can they do this? I’m assuming this is when I was married to my ex husband. I asked where they were sending notices and they said it was the address they had on file…which was the address 17 years ago. I have moved several times since then, and got remarried. I do not recall ever getting any kind of notices where I live now. I am 63, no job, on reduced SS and that’s it. I can not pay what they are stating is what I owe (with added interest and fees since 1998!). I said I could possibly pay $5.00 a month. They hung up. What can they do to me?

    • http://www.credit.com/ Credit.com Credit Experts

      First, a credit card company (or any other kind) cannot place a judgment against you. Judgments come from courts. You may well be dealing with a collection agency that bought old debt for pennies on the dollar and is trying to collect money you may not legally still owe. Ask them to send you a validation of the debt. A legitimate agency will do it, (and you’ll get it via postal mail). Check your state’s statute of limitations. Here are some resources that might be useful to you:
      Statute of Limitations On Debt Collection by State
      8 Things Debt Collectors Won’t Tell You
      Does Your Old Debt Have an Expiration Date?

  • http://consumerrecoverynetwork.com/ask-a-question/ Michael Bovee

    Who is the judgment creditor?
    What are the dates the judgments were entered in the court?

    Can you connect with your bankruptcy attorney to confirm how this debt may/may not still be of concern?

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    Creditors typically cannot garnish wages or seize bank accounts without first getting a judgment. Have you checked your credit reports to see if there is an outstanding judgment?
    Here’s how to get your free annual credit reports.

    Were you a victim of identity theft? Do you know why this happened under your name? Did you ever file a police report about the ID theft?

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    Talk with an attorney. This is a matter that really requires input from an attorney familiar with both consumer and real estate law.

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler
  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    I assume you have tried to disputing it directly with the credit reporting agencies? If not, that’s the first step. If that hasn’t worked, I’d suggest you either file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau or consult a consumer law attorney. If time is of the essence the latter may be the smarter move to save time. Read more here: How Do I Dispute an Error on My Credit Report?

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    Is there anyway you can afford to hire a consumer law attorney to at least help you prepare your response when you go to court? You really do need to get this off your credit and it really doesn’t sound like it’s your fault. I’d suggest you at least get a consultation with an attorney to see what they would charge. You can visit the website of the National Association of Consumer Advocates to find an attorney with experience in this area.

  • Julie

    I need help please! I received a call from my bank this morning that my account is “on hold” due to a “citation to discover assets”. I was given a phone number to call and find out that this is from a judgment allegedly filed against me in June of 2008! I have checked my credit report and there is NO RECORD of any such judgment. Do I have any recourse?? All the money I have in the world is now frozen in this account and I have no way to pay my bills. Can anyone help me?

    • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

      Julie – Perhaps it is a mistake and they have the wrong person. Go to the bank and try to find out more about who placed it, where the judgment is supposedly entered etc. Then you may need to contact the court and/or the judgment creditor to try to find out what is going on. You may also want to consult a consumer law attorney but hopefully you can get to the bottom of it quickly.

  • http://www.credit.com/ Credit.com Credit Experts

    The older it gets, the less impact it will have on your credit scores. We wrote about the issue here: How Can I Erase Judgments From My Credit Reports?

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    What exactly is being reported?

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    Wendy – While I understand you want to take care of this fast, it may not be that simple. This is now a legal matter with the courts. You should have been notified that they were suing you for this balance and had the opportunity to challenge it at that time, but it’s not clear what happened there.

    It is also not clear where this bill originated. Did your daughter ever go to the ER at the hospital that placed the judgement? Did you get bills at that time? Was there an unpaid balance? If there was a balance that wasn’t paid, as the parent you would have been legally responsible. When was the judgment entered by the court and by whom? You may have to do some digging to get answers.

    Quite honestly given that this is not a small amount of money and you are trying to buy a house, I would suggest you consult with a consumer law attorney who can help you understand your rights and options. You can find one in your area through the National Association of Consumer Advocates website. Or depending on where you live, there may be a Legal Aid office that can help.

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    It sounds to me like you’re going to need to get an attorney involved. You may have a case for credit damage. If you don’t how to find one you can visit the website of the National Association of Consumer Advocates.

  • http://consumerrecoverynetwork.com/ask-a-question/ Michael Bovee

    Have you talked about any of this with your CO?

    The amount is quite large. Even settling for a healthy reduction may still be out of reach.

    Bankruptcy could potentially help you move on without the judgment looming over you. But that is also something to cover with your CO.

  • http://consumerrecoverynetwork.com/ask-a-question/ Michael Bovee

    Are you a contractor with the US military, or working for a contractor to military now?

    Are you concerned about DOD security vetting, or is there some other angle to the judgment?

    What state are you in? Was the process that led to the judgment managed in court from start to finish, or is the judgment the end result of arbitration?

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    It is really important you find out what the statute of limitations is for this debt. That will depend on state law. You can use this chart as a basic guideline but I’d recommend you confirm it by doing your own research on landlord-tenant law in your state. Statute of Limitations On Debt Collection by State It may very well be that this debt is too old. If that’s the case, then you can send collection agency certified letter stating that you are aware that this debt is time barred and that you don’t want them to contact you again.

    (I see that you commented on our story about judgments. If there is already a judgment against you then this advice does not apply.)

    However, it sounds like the bigger issue is that they are trying to collect a debt you don’t believe you owe. You have the right to dispute the debt within 30 days of the letter from the collection agency. We recommend you do so in writing and send your letter by certified mail. Separately, you have the right to dispute the items on your credit report directly with then credit reporting agencies and we recommend you do so by certified mail.

    If they continue to try to collect the debt, and continue reporting it on your credit reports, you may need to either get your own attorney involved, or you could try filing a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

  • Curious

    I had a judgment from Oct. 2009 against me. Once I was made aware of it, I called to make payment arrangements. The landlord told me I owed $5000, when the judgment stated $1000. I disputed owing that much and have the paperwork to show I didn’t break the lease (which is what they are saying). In Feb. 2014, I paid the $1000 + interest + court fees with a money order and had it delivered certified. The landlord company never cashed the money order. The bank (where I got the money order) informed me after 90 days the money order would be null and void and that money would be lost. I kept calling the landlord to see if they would mark the judgment satisfied and they kept saying that amount is not correct on the judgement. Well on the 90th day, I filed a stop payment on the money order to get that money back since the company was letting it become void. I sent them a letter of intent to file a motion to have the judgment marked satisfied in court. The manager informed me she would mark it satisfied but I still was responsible for the balance of $4000 she believes I owe. So now 6 months after they received the money order, they decided to cash it. Well I have already received a notice from the court clerk that the judgment has been marked satisfied. Now the landlord is threatening to reverse the notice of satisfaction because the money orders had a stop payment on them. I called the bank and the branch manager said the money orders couldn’t be cashed anyway because it was 6 months old. So my questions are 1) Can they file another judgment against me now – 5 yrs later for the total they believe I owe? 2) Can they reverse a notice of satisfaction even though they let the money order expire ?


    • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

      As much as I’d love to be able to advise you this is a situation that really requires the expertise of a consumer lawyer who is familiar with the laws and procedures in your state. It may be the statute of limitations has expired – or may not. If you aren’t sure where to find an attorney to talk with I’d suggest NACA.net.

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    I don’t understand Robert; why won’t the company that issued the satisfaction of judgment correct it to include your name?

  • http://consumerrecoverynetwork.com/ask-a-question/ Michael Bovee

    Right away I would request a hearing to try and show how you are partially or fully exempt from garnishment. If the garnishment notice from the court does not have the instructions for how to contest, call the court clerk and ask about what your next step to request the hearing is.

    I would then look at my options with an experienced consumer law attorney. It is possible to “undo” a judgment, but it is situational, and something you would want to consult with an attorney about.

    What state are you in?

  • http://consumerrecoverynetwork.com/ask-a-question/ Michael Bovee

    What you describe, being hit over the head with a court judgment you knew nothing about, is not unheard of. The earlier you catch it, the better.

    There are often limitations to what can be done with something as old as this judgment.

    Who is the judgment creditor (named plaintiff)? Who was the attorney collector at the time the judgment was entered? Who is the attorney trying to collect now (if different)?

    I would encourage you to talk to an attorney with debt collections defense experience. There are some options to try to undo that judgment, but maybe not this far down the line. If there is precedent for vacating a judgment this old in Florida, debt defense attorneys would know, and be able to advise you. Look for an attorney near you at http://www.naca.net.

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    It’s possible. The credit report may simply list the judgment amount but there may be interest and/or other fees added, depending on what is legal in your state. I’d recommend you read this article next: Creditor Gets a Judgment Against You – Now What?

  • Juan

    I am currently a few weeks away from closing on VA home loan. My Va Loan officer just notified me that i have 2 judgements against my wife and I. The loan is only in my name due to my wife’s bad credit. The judgement was in my wife’s name, but i was notified that in Illinois a judgement can also go against the spouse even if its not their bills. What can i do to get past this hurdle in time to close on my loan date which is supposed to be by the 24th of July.

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    It will probably be off there before the exact date comes along. It’s not unusual for the agencies to remove it the month before it is due to expire. It would be a good idea to monitor your free credit score – hopefully an increase is coming! (It is satisfied, right? Unpaid judgments can be reported longer.)

  • anna

    My bankruptcy was discharged in 01/2012. I included a judgement. I did my annual credit check this year and its now listed. Can I dispute it?

    • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

      Including a judgment in your bankruptcy doesn’t erase it from your credit reports. Paid or satisfied judgments (which this one should fall under) can be reported for seven years from the date the judgement was entered by the court. So it depends on when this judgment was entered. It should be removed 7 years after that.

  • http://consumerrecoverynetwork.com/ask-a-question/ Michael Bovee

    You need to get your hands on the court record. Is the court one that has records available on line? If not, do you have someone you know nearby that can go in and get a copy?

    What is your goal for this account? Fight it as bogus from the start? Pay and move on with life?

  • Jmil

    Hi. I had a question I was hoping you could help me with. I am weeks away from closing on my first home and back when I was pre approved there was a judgment found on my credit report. Turns out it isn’t mine. It’s my fathers. I am a jr. At the time the lender said she would see what she could do. Now yesterday she tells me I need to dispute it. So I contacted equifax and sent in some supporting documents to prove that I am not my father. I started reading online and everyone is making it sound as though this is not going to be an easy task. I contacted the court house and they said there is nothing they can do. I contacted the plaintiffs attorney and they won’t help either. My father doesn’t even owe this judgment anymore and I asked the attorney if they could please submit a paper to the court saying it was satisfied and they refuse to do that. They said it won’t help me anyways. Is there any way to find out what company reported this to equifax? The court says they don’t know what company did it. They said they have multiple companies that do it and they don’t know which one did it. I have not lived in this home in 10 years and yet they added it to my report based on name and address because that address shows up for my previous address. I am scared this is going to hinder my first time buying a home. Please tell me what else I can do! Thank you!

    • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

      I know this is incredibly frustrating, especially when you are on a tight deadline. First of all, in terms of correcting your credit report, your loan officer should be helping you here. Telling you just to dispute it with the bureau could hold up the process. Your loan officer should have access to something called “rapid rescoore” and if you can get something that identifies that this belongs to your father and not you then she can submit it to the credit reporting service they use to get the correction expedited.

      So how did you determine the judgment was your father’s and not yours? If you have any kind of documentation that shows it’s his then your loan officer should be able to get it corrected through the agency she uses.

      As for the other issue, if the judgment was satisfied then the judgment creditor is typically required to notify the court. (How quickly they must do so is a matter of state law, but the time period is usually short.) If they don’t, there may be financial penalties. But your father is the one who needs to insist they do that. Can you get him to put the request in writing to the plaintiff’s attorney? He should send the letter by certified mail. If they refuse, then I’d suggest he contact his own consumer law attorney or file a complaint against the judgment creditor/attorney with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

      It does matter to him by the way, while it may not result in it being removed his credit reports right away paid judgments do have a different reporting period than unpaid judgments.

      I am appalled to hear the run around you are getting.

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    That is absolutely not true. If you were a victim of id theft then the debt – and judgment – is not valid. However, getting a judgment vacated is not an easy process. Do you belong to any organizations the offer id theft resolution assistance? Through your auto or homeowner insurance for example?

  • Dawn

    In 2012 out of no where my bank accou t was frozen. After making calls i found out it was from a judgement that i never went to court for regarding dental work i recieved under my mothers insurance when I was in college. I paid the original balance and they lifted the hold on my account. Now almost a year and half later they send me a letter saying they put a lien on my house due to the unpaid interest. Can I be charged eight years interest on a judgement that never showed up on any of my credit reports and I was never mailed a bill for ?

    • http://consumerrecoverynetwork.com/ask-a-question/ Michael Bovee

      Judgments are a court issue. They can show up on your credit, but do not always.

      You can be sued without being mailed a bill. You can be charged interest on a judgment, rate set by the court, and allowed in your state, and for the life of a judgment. Judgment debt can result in a lien on real property (will vary by state).

      If you want to see if there are any holes in the process the judgment creditor followed, run your scenario by an experienced consumer law attorney that is familiar with judgment enforcement in your state.

  • Pingback: 4 Ways Your Driving Habits Could Wreck Your Credit Score : Jo & Ray Publication()

  • Pingback: 4 Ways Your Driving Habits Could Wreck Your Credit Score - Top News Cast()

  • Pingback: 4 Ways Your Driving Habits Could Wreck Your Credit Score | Finance Care Home()

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    Ian – First you can try disputing them and see what happens. If that doesn’t fix it then you will need to contact the court that is reporting it. Will you let us know what happens?

    A Step-By-Step Guide to Disputing Credit Report Mistakes

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    Unfortunately the judgments will remain on your credit reports for seven years from the date they were entered by the court (if they are paid). Until they are paid, they can be reported indefinitely. Making payments on judgments doesn’t help your credit scores. It sounds like you are doing what you can on that front.

    As for the tax liens, you may be able to get those removed from your credit if you qualify under the IRS Fresh Start program. I would encourage you to check that out: Getting a Tax Lien Off Your Credit Reports

  • http://www.Credit.com/ Gerri Detweiler

    This is not an uncommon problem you’ve experienced. We wrote about it in this article: Credit Report Double Jeopardy Means Double Damage

    As for the unemployment issue, the procedures for this may be different than for consumer debts. We’ll have to suggest you talk with an attorney who handles unemployment disputes.

  • Pingback: Can a Debt Collector Garnish My Wages? | Best Credit Repair()

  • Jade

    I have a small claims judgement on my CRA. It has already been paid. However, it appears the judgement was placed on my CRA prior to the 30 waiting period mandated by the court for appeal purposes.

    Questions: Since the judgement is paid and the judgement was placed on my CRA prior to the 30 day waiting period; can I have this judgement removed due to violation of the courts mandate per 30 days waiting period…

    • Credit.com

      The waiting period would have only been for you to appeal the judgment to fight it. Since you paid the judgment, I’m assuming you didn’t fight it and the debt was valid. Which means the judgement is accurate and exists/occurred, even though you paid it and it will remain in your credit reports until it expires. (7 years)

  • Lexis

    wanted to get an opinion on what to do about an issue I just was made aware of. I received a phone call this morning from a collections agency about my Chase credit card balance. I was unaware of any due balance since I rarely use this credit card and used it only for establishing credit when I was in college. I have a credit score of 796 with only my student loans and car as my debt. The billing statements were being sent to an old address according to both Chase and the collections agency. The collections agency connected me with a Chase manager to figure out what the charges were and on what date. Apparently, I had a $101.92 balance on a card from a Sept. 7, 2012 rental car charge that had gone to collections as of April 30,2013 at $310.40 due to late fees and interest. Having never made a late payment, minimum payment, or anything of the sort I was completely shocked that this had occurred. If I was aware of ANY charges they would have been paid in full at or before the due date as I ALWAYS DO. Well, the Chase manager was kind enough to take off the interest and late fees making my balance due $101.92 which I paid today. I then called the collections representative I had been dealing with to let him know that he should be seeing the letter from Chase regarding my account within a few days. I don’t want any blip on my credit report. How can I go about correcting this issue besides paying my balance due? The woman at Chase said that it’s out of her hands once it goes to collections. Is there anything I can do like write a letter to Experian, Transunion, and Equifax asking to delete the charged off credit card? I realize that this isn’t a large charge amount, but I’m very concerned about my credit being negatively affected. Any suggestions would be great!

    Thank you for your time.

    • Jade

      I am wondering if you checked your cc statements or have requested a statement for that time period… if in fact this charge is yours; you will have to pay it and I would pay the creditor directly and not the collection agency and do it in writing.

      In my experience, the original credit has never turned down money for a bill owed. Secondly, if the collection agency makes notation on our CRA that the collection has been paid; they are in violation of law because they did not collect the money. Two entities cannot collect on the same debt.

      SEE: United States of America VS NCO Financial Group: This collection agency violated the law in two ways: 1. They failed to report all dates of deliquency; 2. They were still trying to collect on a account that the consumer had already paid to another collection agency. In essence, they were commiting fraud.

      I hope this helps…

Credit.com receives compensation for the financial products and services advertised on this site if our users apply for and sign up for any of them.

Hello, Reader!

Thanks for checking out Credit.com. We hope you find the site and the journalism we produce useful. We wanted to take some time to tell you a bit about ourselves.

Our People

The Credit.com editorial team is staffed by a team of editors and reporters, each with many years of financial reporting experience. We’ve worked for places like the New York Times, American Banker, Frontline, TheStreet.com, Business Insider, ABC News, NBC News, CNBC and many others. We also employ a few freelancers and more than 50 contributors (these are typically subject matter experts from the worlds of finance, academia, politics, business and elsewhere).

Our Reporting

We take great pains to ensure that the articles, video and graphics you see on Credit.com are thoroughly reported and fact-checked. Each story is read by two separate editors, and we adhere to the highest editorial standards. We’re not perfect, however, and if you see something that you think is wrong, please email us at editorial team [at] credit [dot] com,

The Credit.com editorial team is committed to providing our readers and viewers with sound, well-reported and understandable information designed to inform and empower. We won’t tell you what to do. We will, however, do our best to explain the consequences of various actions, thereby arming you with the information you need to make decisions that are in your best interests. We also write about things relating to money and finance we think are interesting and want to share.

In addition to appearing on Credit.com, our articles are syndicated to dozens of other news sites. We have more than 100 partners, including MSN, ABC News, CBS News, Yahoo, Marketwatch, Scripps, Money Magazine and many others. This network operates similarly to the Associated Press or Reuters, except we focus almost exclusively on issues relating to personal finance. These are not advertorial or paid placements, rather we provide these articles to our partners in most cases for free. These relationships create more awareness of Credit.com in general and they result in more traffic to us as well.

Our Business Model

Credit.com’s journalism is largely supported by an e-commerce business model. Rather than rely on revenue from display ad impressions, Credit.com maintains a financial marketplace separate from its editorial pages. When someone navigates to those pages, and applies for a credit card, for example, Credit.com will get paid what is essentially a finder’s fee if that person ends up getting the card. That doesn’t mean, however, that our editorial decisions are informed by the products available in our marketplace. The editorial team chooses what to write about and how to write about it independently of the decisions and priorities of the business side of the company. In fact, we maintain a strict and important firewall between the editorial and business departments. Our mission as journalists is to serve the reader, not the advertiser. In that sense, we are no different from any other news organization that is supported by ad revenue.

Visitors to Credit.com are also able to register for a free Credit.com account, which gives them access to a tool called The Credit Report Card. This tool provides users with two free credit scores and a breakdown of the information in their Experian credit report, updated twice monthly. Again, this tool is entirely free, and we mention that frequently in our articles, because we think that it’s a good thing for users to have access to data like this. Separate from its educational value, there is also a business angle to the Credit Report Card. Registered users can be matched with products and services for which they are most likely to qualify. In other words, if you register and you find that your credit is less than stellar, Credit.com won’t recommend a high-end platinum credit card that requires an excellent credit score You’d likely get rejected, and that’s no good for you or Credit.com. You’d be no closer to getting a product you need, there’d be a wasted inquiry on your credit report, and Credit.com wouldn’t get paid. These are essentially what are commonly referred to as "targeted ads" in the world of the Internet. Despite all of this, however, even if you never apply for any product, the Credit Report Card will remain free, and none of this will impact how the editorial team reports on credit and credit scores.

Your Stories

Lastly, much of what we do is informed by our own experiences as well as the experiences of our readers. We want to tell your stories if you’re interested in sharing them. Please email us at story ideas [at] credit [dot] com with ideas or visit us on Facebook or Twitter.

Thanks for stopping by.

- The Credit.com Editorial Team