This week the ride-hailing app Uber announced a partnership with Visa that allows users to earn free rides by swiping the Visa card tied to their Uber account. It’s called Local Offers, and here’s how the system works.
Customers can simply “enroll” in any of the participating businesses that interest them on Uber’s app. Then, each time they spend a dollar at one of the related businesses on their Visa-branded debit or credit card, they’ll earn one Uber point toward a free ride. Rack up 100 points, and they could score a free lift worth up to $10.
Local Offers has already been integrated into Uber’s app, so it shouldn’t be hard to find a list of places to patronize. And because there are no codes or coupons to manage, the site says, all you’ll need to do is make sure you have your Visa card on hand to pay — that is, at a participating business. You can watch the points add up in the Uber app as riders’ point balances increase upon swiping.
For now, Local Offers is only available in California — it’s rolling out in San Francisco and Los Angeles.
Playing It Safe
Remember, it’s one thing to score a free ride by doing what you’d normally do with a credit card. But the last thing you want to do is tank your credit by going overboard. If you weren’t planning to visit Barcito or Lucille’s Smokehouse Bar-B-Que — two restaurants on Uber’s list of participating businesses — you probably shouldn’t go just to get the free Uber points. (Then again, barbecue is never a bad decision, if you ask us.)
Also, don’t forget to read the terms and conditions of any rewards program carefully so you understand what you’re signing up for. You can see how your spending habits are affecting your finances by viewing two of your free credit scores on Credit.com. Carrying debt? Try playing with this credit card payoff calculator to see how long it will take to pay off.
Citi Rewards+℠ Card
- The Citi Rewards+℠ Card - the only credit card that automatically rounds up to the nearest 10 points on every purchase - with no cap.
- Earn 15,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in purchases with your card within 3 months of account opening; redeemable for $150 in gift cards at thankyou.com
- 0% Intro APR on balance transfers and purchases for 15 months. After that, the variable APR will be 13.49% - 23.49%, based on your creditworthiness. Balance transfer fee — either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.
- Earn 2X ThankYou® Points at Supermarkets and Gas Stations for the first $6,000 per year and then 1X Points thereafter. Plus, earn 1X Points on All Other Purchases.
- The standard variable APR for Citi Flex Plan is 13.49% - 23.49%, based on your creditworthiness. Citi Flex Plan offers are made available at Citi's discretion.
Card Details +