[UPDATE: Some offers mentioned below have expired and/or are no longer available on our site. You can view the current offers from our partners in our credit card marketplace. DISCLOSURE: Cards from our partners are mentioned below.]
Not all credit cards are “plastic” in the traditional sense. Here are a few cards comprised of alternate materials.
American Express Centurion Card
Amex is tight-lipped on the terms and conditions surrounding its ultra-exclusive Centurion card, reserved for high net worth consumers, but it is widely known that the card is made of anodized titanium. The use of titanium gives the card a decisive plunk factor and helps it live up to its slogan: “Rarely seen, always recognized.”
J.P. Morgan Palladium Card
Chase’s invitation-only card, reserved largely for private wealth clients and investors, is made of the precious metals palladium and gold. A Bloomberg article estimates the value of the raw materials used to make the card at around $1,000. Both the cardholder’s signature and account information are etched into each card, which is also outfitted with Visa smart chip technology.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.
Card Details +
Chase couldn’t disclose the specific components of its popular travel rewards card since it doesn’t own the patent on the unique design, but a spokeswoman did confirm there’s metal in its mix. The card also sports the account information on the back. The design certainly helps the product stand out amongst competitors. Though not invitation-only, the card is only available to those with great credit scores.
Barclays Visa Black Card
Barclays answer to the Centurion, the Visa Black Card, is made from carbon, which, though lighter than titanium, still allows for a certain visibility when handed to a store clerk or placed down next to a cash register.
Biodegradable Discover Card
OK, technically Discover’s green version of its popular credit cards still are made from polyvinyl chloride (PVC). But it’s a biodegradable type which will begin to break down when exposed to landfill conditions and is designed to fully degrade within five years. The card can be identified by the three-leaf insignia on its front.
[Credit Cards: Research and compare credit cards at Credit.com.]
At publishing time, Chase Sapphire Preferred and the Visa Black Card are offered through Credit.com product pages and Credit.com is compensated if our users apply for and ultimately sign up for these cards. However, this relationship does not result in any preferential editorial treatment.
Image: Clemson, via Flickr
Citi Rewards+℠ Card
- The Citi Rewards+℠ Card - the only credit card that automatically rounds up to the nearest 10 points on every purchase - with no cap.
- Earn 15,000 bonus points after you spend $1,000 in purchases with your card within 3 months of account opening; redeemable for $150 in gift cards at thankyou.com
- 0% Intro APR on balance transfers and purchases for 15 months. After that, the variable APR will be 13.49% - 23.49%, based on your creditworthiness. Balance transfer fee — either $5 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.
- Earn 2X ThankYou® Points at Supermarkets and Gas Stations for the first $6,000 per year and then 1X Points thereafter. Plus, earn 1X Points on All Other Purchases.
- The standard variable APR for Citi Flex Plan is 13.49% - 23.49%, based on your creditworthiness. Citi Flex Plan offers are made available at Citi's discretion.
Card Details +