[UPDATE: Some offers mentioned below have expired and/or are no longer available on our site. You can view the current offers from our partners in our credit card marketplace. DISCLOSURE: Cards from our partners are mentioned below.]
When many people imagine a credit card or charge card, they probably think of one of the traditional cards from American Express that have been around for decades, including the Green, Gold and Platinum cards.
American Express has added more cards to its product line over the years, but it still continues to update its traditional products and offer them to new applicants.
Why Choose Amex?
When people who use American Express were asked why they use this company, the feedback was about the same. While American Express is a prestigious and very common household name, they continue to use Amex because of the many reward opportunities they are presented with and the value and high customer service they receive as cardmembers.
Some have even said that American Express offers one of the best account management websites they have ever seen, and another reported that they are the only credit card company they have found to put their customers first, especially if there is a dispute with a merchant regarding any purchases made on the account.
Thinking about getting an American Express card? Here is what you can expect from its current crop of Gold and Platinum cards.
The American Express® Gold Card offers 3x Membership Reward® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com, and 4x Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide and U.S. supermarkets.
American Express® Gold Card
- Rose Gold is back. You can now choose between Gold or Rose Gold.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® Points on Restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery, plus, earn 4X points for Uber Eats purchases too.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per calendar year in purchases, then 1X).
- $120 Uber Cash: Add your Gold Card to your Uber account and each month automatically get $10 in Uber Cash for Uber Eats orders or Uber rides in the U.S., totaling up to $120 per year.
- $120 Dining Credit: Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
You also have access to a personalized travel service that can assist with making reservations and the Preferred Seating program that helps you secure premium seats for cultural and sporting events, based on availability.
There is a $250 annual fee for this card.
Unlike the Gold card, the American Express Platinum Card, offers one point for each dollar spent, with five times the points for reservations purchased through American Express travel. But otherwise, it comes with far more features and benefits than even the Gold card.
The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you spend $5,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That’s an additional 9 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member and Additional Centurion Cards only.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel. Starting January 1, 2021, earn 5X points on up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year.
- 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy complimentary access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits through American Express Travel with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts® program at over 1,100 properties . Learn More.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. That’s up to $50 in statement credits semi-annually. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
Cardholders enjoy access to several airport lounge programs including the Delta SkyClub, Priority Pass Select network, and American Express Centurion Clubs.
You also receive elite status with Hilton and Starwood hotels, as well as Avis, Hertz, and National car rentals.
There is a $550 annual fee for this card and no foreign transaction fees.
Remember, applying for new credit results in a hard inquiry on your credit report, and credit scores view hard inquiries as a slightly negative bit of credit history.
Before you apply for a credit card that is right for you, it’s a good idea to make sure you can qualify for them. You can view your two free credit scores, updated, every 14 days, to find out where your creditworthiness stands.
Once you determine your current credit standing, you can then begin to weigh the advantages of each Amex credit card.
Which American Express Card Should I Choose?
Before choosing any card, you will first want to determine which ones allow you the chance to earn transferable points, which one allows you to earn points or miles in a program, and which allow you to earn a fixed return. Once you determine these factors, you can then begin to consider the welcome offers, the earning rate, and the benefits you will be able to receive as a valued cardmember with American Express.
If you are a traveler, then having a credit card that allows transferable points is always a bonus. American Express offers transferable points in the form of their Membership Rewards Points. They also partner with approximately seventeen different airlines and a few hotels, so you can get the most out of your points.
Most credit cards offer a generous welcome offer, and American Express is no different. The Platinum Card® from American Express allows its cardholders to earn 75,000 Membership Reward® points after they spend $5,000 on purchases with the new card within the first 6 months of card membership. Also, earn 10x points on eligible purchases on your new Card at U.S. Gas Stations and U.S. Supermarkets, on up to $15,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
The Platinum Card also offers five times the points for flights and hotels and as mentioned previously, allows its cardmembers access to over 1000 different airline lounges and a $200 airline fee credit. By getting the Platinum Card, you will have the opportunity to take advantage of the welcome offer, higher earning rates, and many other beneficial benefits.
The Platinum Card® from American Express is a good choice if you are a frequent traveler.
The American Express® Gold Card is another card that is commonly utilized by frequent travelers because cardmembers may be able to see a 6% return on their spending and purchases.
The welcome offer for the American Express® Gold Card is 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you have spent $4000 on eligible purchases with your new card within the first 6 months. The earning rate for this Amex Card has also been improved, and cardholders can earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
The American Express® Gold Card is the ideal card for those who are regular travelers and can take advantage of the available reward membership points and credits.
When choosing any American Express Card, you ultimately want to decide what kind of rewards you would like to earn with a reward program. You can then dissect each individual Amex Card to see which one allows for the most benefits and works out for your own specific spending needs.
You will also want to weigh the amount of the annual fee to see if it will be worth the rewards and other perks you are receiving.
At publishing time, the American Express® Gold Card is offered through Credit.com product pages, and Credit.com is compensated if our users apply and ultimately sign up for these cards. However, this relationship does not result in any preferential editorial treatment.
Note: It’s important to remember that interest rates, fees and terms for credit cards, loans and other financial products frequently change. As a result, rates, fees and terms for credit cards, loans and other financial products cited in these articles may have changed since the date of publication. Please be sure to verify current rates, fees and terms with credit card issuers, banks or other financial institutions directly.
More on Credit Cards: