[UPDATE: Some offers mentioned below have expired and/or are no longer available on our site. You can view the current offers from our partners in our credit card marketplace. DISCLOSURE: Cards from our partners are mentioned below.]
After a long day of work, sometimes the last thing you want to do is come home and fix dinner. That’s when you head to your favorite restaurant and let them do the work for you. Unfortunately, it can get expensive to eat out frequently. That’s why it’s a good idea to pay the bill with a credit card that helps you earn extra at restaurants. The rewards you can earn will help offset the cost of dinner and allow you to feel a little less guilty at the end of the night.
Before your next night out, make sure you have the right credit card in your wallet. Here are the best credit cards for restaurants in 2017.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 50,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $625 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred® named a 'Best Travel Credit Card' by MONEY® Magazine, 2016-2017
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Earn 5,000 bonus points after you add the first authorized user and make a purchase in the first 3 months from account opening
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 50,000 points are worth $625 toward travel.
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards
Card Details +
When you use this card on restaurants and travel, you will receive two Ultimate Reward points per dollar spent. Any other purchase you make will receive one point. You will also receive 50,000 points after spending $4,000 within the first three months of being a cardholder. If you add an authorized user to your account, you will receive an additional 5,000 points as long as you make your first purchase in the same three-month period.
Chase Ultimate Rewards are a favorite for credit card users because of the redemption options. You can use your points to book travel directly and receive 1.25 cents per point. Alternatively, you can transfer your points to one of several different loyalty programs at a 1:1 ratio. This card has no foreign transaction fees but does have an annual fee of $0 Intro for the first year, then $95. The APR is between 17.24% - 24.24% Variable.
Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express
- Earn 25,000 Membership Rewards® Points after you use your new Card to make $2,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.
- 3X points for flights booked directly with airlines. 2X points at US restaurants, US gas stations, and at US supermarkets. 1X points on other purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit. Up to $100 a calendar year for baggage fees at one airline.
- Get a $75 hotel credit on qualifying charges, plus a room upgrade upon arrival, when available with The Hotel Collection at americanexpress.com/hc.
- $0 Intro Annual Fee for the 1st year, then $195.
- Expanding merchant acceptance: Over 1 million more places in the U.S. started accepting American Express® Cards in the last year.
- Terms Apply.
Card Details +
Each time you use the Premier Rewards Gold Card at US restaurants, US gas stations and at US supermarkets, you will receive two Membership Rewards points per dollar spent. You will also receive three points when you purchase airfare directly from airlines. All other purchases will receive one point per dollar spent. You will receive 25,000 points after you sign up and spend $2,000 within the first three months. You will also receive a $100 airline fee credit each calendar year. This can be used for things such as baggage fees at one airline. This does not apply towards the purchase of airlines tickets, only incidentals. You will have the chance to redeem the points you earn for travel directly through American Express, or you can transfer points to different loyalty partners. If those options aren’t of interest, you can opt to use points toward gift cards, entertainment or merchandise.
The Capital One Venture Rewards card is not only an easy-to-get credit card for those with good credit, but it’s also one of the best credit cards for restaurants in 2017. With this card, you will receive an unlimited two points for every dollar you spend. Capital One also awards 10x the miles for purchases made with hotels.com/venture (learn more at hotels.com/venture). Plus, when you sign up, you will receive 50,000 bonus miles after spending $3,000 within the first three months of account opening.
Redeeming your points is one of the best perks of this card. You will be able to use your miles as a statement credit toward any travel expense. That means you can fly any airline with an available seat or stay in hotels with available rooms. This card also comes with no foreign transaction fee and an annual fee of $0 intro for first year; $95 after that. The card carries an APR of 14.24% - 24.24% (Variable), depending on your credit.
Just like its name implies, you’ll savor your food when you use this card, knowing that you’re getting a decent amount of cash back. Cardholders earn 3% cash back on dining, 2% on groceries, and 1% on all other purchases. There is no limit on how much you can earn and the points never expire as long as the account remains open. There’s also a signup bonus-earn $150 cashback when you spend $500 within three months of the account opening. The card has no transaction fees and a $0 annual fee. Plus, there’s a special APR when you open the account-0% intro on purchases for 9 months as well as 0% intro on balance transfers for 9 months then 15.74% - 24.49% (Variable) APR. In order to qualify for this card, you’ll need Excellent,Good credit.
Citi® Double Cash Card – 18 month BT offer
- Earn cash back twice on every purchase with unlimited 1% cash back when you buy, plus an additional 1% as you pay for those purchases.
- Balance Transfers do not earn cash back
- 0% Intro APR on Balance Transfers for 18 months. After that, the variable APR will be 14.74% - 24.74% based on your creditworthiness*
- Click 'Apply Now' to see the applicable balance transfer fee and how making a balance transfer impacts interest on purchases.
- No categories to track, no caps on cash back, no annual fee*
Card Details +
The Citi Double Cash card is a favorite for anyone who likes cash back cards. With this one, you will have the opportunity to earn 2% cash back on every purchase, including restaurants. You will receive 1% when you make a purchase, and another 1% when you pay it off. There is no signup bonus, but it does have an attractive balance transfer offer: Intro: 0%* for 18 months on Balance Transfers*. After that, the variable APR will be 14.74% - 24.74%* (Variable). This card has $0* annual fee.
At publishing time, the Chase Sapphire Preferred, Capital One Venture Rewards, Chase Freedom, Chase Sapphire Preferred and Citi Double Cash credit cards are offered through Credit.com product pages, and Credit.com is compensated if our users apply and ultimately sign up for these cards. However, these relationships do not result in any preferential editorial treatment. This content is not provided by the card issuers. Any opinions expressed are those of Credit.com alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the issuers.
Note: It’s important to remember that interest rates, fees and terms for credit cards, loans and other financial products frequently change. As a result, rates, fees and terms for credit cards, loans and other financial products cited in these articles may have changed since the date of publication. Please be sure to verify current rates, fees and terms with credit card issuers, banks or other financial institutions directly.