[DISCLOSURE: Cards from our partners are mentioned below.]
Some people like to carry multiple credit cards so they can maximize their rewards. They will carry a card that is good for dining out, one that earns the most rewards for purchasing gas, and maybe even one for booking travel. But what if you want a simpler approach without having to remember what card to use for each purchase? That is when a card meant for everyday purchases can be useful.
In this article, we’ll share a few of our picks for the best rewards credit cards for everyday spending. These are cards that are ideal no matter if you’re planning a shopping spree or filling your car up with gas..
Remember, before you apply for a card, it’s a good idea to see where your credit stands first. You can view two of your credit scores for free on Credit.com.
Discover it® Cash Back
- INTRO OFFER: Discover will match ALL the cash back you've earned at the end of your first year, automatically. There's no signing up. And no limit to how much is matched.
- Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com and more up to the quarterly maximum, each time you activate.
- Plus, earn unlimited 1% cash back on all other purchases - automatically.
- Redeem cash back any amount, any time. Rewards never expire.
- Use your rewards at Amazon.com checkout.
- Receive FREE Social Security number alerts-Discover will monitor thousands of risky websites when you sign up.
- No annual fee.
Card Details +
The Discover it Cash Back is a favorite for most. Cardholders receive 1% cash back on all purchases and 5% back on up to $1,500 in purchases on rotating categories each quarter (these categories must be activated). These categories include gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, and Amazon – which makes your earning potential on daily purchases even greater.
Discover also matches your cash back earnings at the end of your first year automatically. You can redeem your cash back in any amount at any time, or use your rewards at Amazon.com checkout. The card has no annual fee and you receive and introductory 0% APR for 14 months on both purchases and balance transfers. After that an APR of 14.24% - 25.24% Variable on purchases & balance transfers will apply.
Barclaycard Arrival Plus® World Elite Mastercard®
- Limited Time Offer: Enjoy 70,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 90 days
- Earn unlimited 2X miles on every purchase
- Book travel your way—no airline, seat or hotel restrictions—and redeem your miles for travel statement credits
- Get 5% miles back to use toward your next redemption, every time you redeem
- No foreign transaction fees
- International Chip and PIN for use at self-service chip terminals around the world
- Miles don’t expire as long as your account is open, active and in good standing
Card Details +
Another great card for earning valuable rewards on everyday spending is the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard. This is perfect for anyone who prefers earning flexible travel rewards. When you sign up for this card, you will receive a bonus of 70,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 90 days as part of their welcome offer. You will then earn two miles on every purchase you make. When you are ready to redeem your miles, you can do so for a statement credit toward any travel expense made within the last 120 days. You will also get back 5% of the miles you redeem.
If you are planning to travel outside the U.S., there are no foreign transaction fees. You will also receive an Intro: 0% for first 12 billing cycles following each balance transfer that posts to your account within 45 days of account opening. After that, an APR 18.24%, 22.24% or 25.24% variable based on your creditworthiness will apply. The annual fee is $89 (waived first year).
At publishing time, the Discover it Cash Back, the Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi, as well as the Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard are offered through Credit.com product pages, and Credit.com is compensated if our users apply and ultimately sign up for these cards. As of April 26th, 2017, Amex EveryDay Preferred is no longer offered through Credit.com product pages. However, this relationship does not result in any preferential editorial treatment. This content is not provided by the card issuers. Any opinions expressed are those of Credit.com alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the issuers.
Note: It’s important to remember that interest rates, fees and terms for credit cards, loans and other financial products frequently change. As a result, rates, fees and terms for credit cards, loans and other financial products cited in these articles may have changed since the date of publication. Please be sure to verify current rates, fees and terms with credit card issuers, banks or other financial institutions directly.
This article was last updated January 4, 2019.