Of all rewards credit cards on the market, travel rewards cards may be the most enticing. Why is that? With airline rewards cards, there are often strict rules about when and how you can redeem your rewards points. But with hotel rewards cards, the limitations are much less strict. Often, you can redeem your points for any unsold room at any given time.
How does it work? You make purchases with your rewards card, which earns you points to redeem on discounted or free nights, meals, and more. Are you looking to find the right hotel rewards credit card for your needs? Continue reading to find out more.
Find the Right Hotel Rewards Credit Card for You
Finding the right hotel rewards credit card for you can be a bit tricky. Each comes with its own benefits, but usually only for a specific chain of hotels. Ask yourself these questions as you search for the right card:
- How often do I travel?
- Do I stay at a particular chain? How often?
- What are my spending and vacation habits?
You’ll soon find out each card has its own perks and quirks. Here are some favorites from the team at Credit.com:
- Wells Fargo Propel American Express® Card: This card offers 3X points for travel, including for flights, hotels, homestays and card rentals.
- Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card: You’ll receive enticing and easy-to-redeem points on every purchase.
- Chase Sapphire Preferred®: This card offers travel perks above and beyond other travel rewards cards.
- Amalgamated Bank of Chicago Union Strong Mastercard®: You have the freedom to use your own rewards your own way.
Before you apply for any new credit card, you should know where your credit stands. For many of the cards mentioned here, you’ll need good to excellent credit.
Annual Fee: $0 intro for first year; $95 after that
Purchase APR: 17.49% - 24.74% (Variable) APR on purchases and balance transfers.
Sign Up Bonus: You’ll receive a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles when you spend $3,000 on eligible purchases in the first 3 months. This is equivalent to $500 in travel.
Base Rewards: You’ll earn 2X miles per dollar on every purchase. Miles won’t expire for the life of the account and there’s no limit to how many you can earn.
The Big Extras: This card comes with no foreign transaction fees. You can receive up to $100 in application fee credit for TSA Pre✓® or Global Entry. There are no limits or expiration dates on your miles. As a Capital One Venture card member, you can fly any airline and stay at any hotel anytime you’d like.
Why We’re Mentioning It: This card offers flexible rewards for those who enjoy a flexible travel experience.
Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
Card Details +
Annual Fee: $95
Purchase APR: 17.74% - 24.74% Variable APR.
Sign Up Bonus: You can earn up to 60,000 bonus miles when you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases within the first 3 months. That’s equal to about $750 in travel rewards through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
Base Rewards: You’ll earn 2X points per dollar spent on eligible purchases on dining or travel. You’ll earn 1X points per dollar on all other eligible purchases.
The Big Extras: The Chase Sapphire Preferred® card comes with no foreign transaction fees. You’ll receive a variety of different travel perks, such as a rental auto collision damage waiver and trip interruption insurance.
Why We’re Mentioning It: While the rewards rates for this card aren’t as high as others, it comes with exceptional travel perks. This card is great for everyday purchases.
Amalgamated Bank of Chicago Union Strong Mastercard® Credit Card
- 0% Intro APR on Purchases and Balance Transfers for 12 months; after that the variable APR will be 11.00%.
- Earn $150 statement credit after you spend $1,200 on purchases within the first 90 days from account opening
- Earn 5x rewards on up to $1,500 in combined purchases each quarter in popular categories such as dining, groceries, travel, and automotive
- No upper limit on the points you can accumulate, and since points never expire, you can save up for a big award!
- Earn Points on Every Purchase! It’s simple: $1 = 1 Point
- No Annual Fee
- Select Your Rewards Your Way
Card Details +
Annual Fee: $0
Purchase APR: APR of 0% for 12 months then 11.00% (V) APR on purchases and balance transfers.
Sign Up Bonus: Earn $150 in statement credit when you spend $1,200 on eligible purchases within the first 90 days.
Base Rewards: Earn 5X rewards points on up to $1,500 on eligible purchases each quarter. This benefit is applicable to popular categories such as groceries, dining, travel and automotive. For every other purchase, you’ll earn 1X rewards points per dollar.
The Big Extras: There’s no upper limit on the number of points you can accumulate. As long as your account is open, your points will never expire.
Why We’re Mentioning It: If you’re looking to save up your rewards for something big, this card is great for you.
Find the Right Card for Your Needs
Shopping for a new credit card is a lot more complicated than it may seem. This is especially true for hotel rewards credit cards, which come with nuanced terms and conditions.
When choosing a hotel rewards credit card, you’ll need to consider your spending and travel habits. The biggest factor will be your travel destinations, such as the hotels you’ll frequent.
It’s not as easy as choosing the lowest APR or annual fee. Take a hard look at the travel perks and rewards rates each card has to offer. How much will you receive on each type of purchase?
Remember to always use your credit card responsibly and pay down your balances at the end of each billing period. This will keep your credit in shape and keep your rewards paying off.
Finally, do more research. To find out more about individual credit cards, visit the Credit.com credit card marketplace.
Editorial disclosure: Reviews are as determined solely by Credit.com staff. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the reviewers and aren’t reviewed or approved by any advertiser. Information presented is accurate as of the date of the review, including information on card rates, rewards and fees. Check the issuer’s website for the most current information on each card listed.
Advertiser disclosure: The credit card offers that appear on this website are from credit card companies that Credit.com receives compensation from. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). The site does not include all credit card companies or all available credit card offers.
Update: Some offers mentioned above may have expired and/or no longer be available on our site. View the current offers from our partners in our credit card marketplace.