A hotel rewards credit card can be a real boon to your bottom line if you travel a lot. These rewards cards let you earn points on a variety of purchases and cash those in for free nights at hotels and other perks. Read on to discover some options that might just be the best hotel rewards credit cards for you.
Note: There’s really no such thing as one “best” hotel rewards card. The best credit cards for hotel rewards are the ones that meet your financial needs and let you spend normally while racking up travel rewards points. While this sometimes means a hotel-branded credit card, it doesn’t have to. Learn more about some of Credit.com’s picks for hotel rewards cards below.
Hotel Rewards Credit Cards
- Hilton Honors American Express: This card is a great option for people who often stay at Hilton properties. You can earn seven points for every dollar spent with the brand, and other spending comes with generous points earnings as well.
- American Express Green Card: Classic Amex travel perks and a large sign-up bonus are two reasons this card makes the list. The American Express Green card may also be a good choice for those who enjoy international travel.
- Amalgamated Bank of Chicago Platinum Rewards Mastercard: This card offers standard rewards for every purchase and lets you maximize rewards points if you spend in certain categories each quarter.
Hilton Honors American Express Card
- Earn 75,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points with the Hilton Honors American Express Card after you use your new Card to make $1,000 in eligible purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Earn 7X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged directly with a hotel or resort within the Hilton Honors portfolio of brands.
- Earn 5X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets, and U.S. gas stations.
- Earn 3X Hilton Honors Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases on your Card.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees. Enjoy international travel without additional fees on purchases made abroad.
- Enjoy complimentary Hilton Honors Silver status with your Card. Plus, spend $20,000 on eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year and you can earn an upgrade to Hilton Honors Gold status through the end of the next calendar year.
- No Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
Card Details +
Benefits: If you’re a Hilton loyalist, his can be an ideal hotel rewards card for you. Every dollar spent on eligible purchases at Hilton properties earns you 7x Hilton Honors Bonus Points. Plus you earn five points per dollar spent at eligible restaurants, gas stations and grocery stores in the United States and three points for every other eligible purchase. You can currently grab a quick 75,000 bonus points by spending $1,000 in eligible purchases in the first three months.
Disadvantages: The card requires good or excellent credit. There is no introductory APR offer, but the ongoing APR is . It’s also more likely to be helpful to someone who stays with Hilton properties a lot.
American Express® Green Card
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
Card Details +
Benefits: Some classic Amex perks for travelers make this card easy to include in the list. Most notably, you can earn 3x Membership Rewards points for every dollar spent on eligible travel—including hotel stays—and at restaurants worldwide. You can earn 30,000 bonus points by spending $2,000 in the first three months.
This card may be a good option for those who like globe-trotting. Unlike some other cards on the list, the American Express Green Card lets you earn points on qualified international spending. It also comes with no foreign transaction fees.
Disadvantages: The card does have an annual fee of $150 , making it less beneficial to anyone who won’t maximize its perks. There are no introductory APR offers, and you need good or excellent credit for approval.
Amalgamated Bank of Chicago Platinum Rewards Mastercard® Credit Card
- 0% Intro APR on Purchases for 12 months and Balance Transfers for 18 months; after that the variable APR will be 14.40% – 24.40%, based on your creditworthiness
- Earn $150 Statement Credit after you spend $1,200 on purchases within the first 90 days from account opening
- Earn 5x rewards on up to $1,500 in combined purchases each quarter in popular categories such as dining, groceries, travel, and automotive
- No upper limit on the points you can accumulate, and since points never expire, you can save up for a big award!
- Earn Points on Every Purchase! It’s simple: $1 = 1 Point
- No Annual Fee
- Select Your Rewards Your Way
Card Details +
Benefits: This card makes the list for supporting rewards earnings in certain categories. Each quarter, the categories change, but they’re selected from popular options such as dining, travel, automotive and groceries. You earn five points for every dollar spent in the quarterly category, up to $1,500 in spending.
You also earn one point on every other qualified dollar, with no earnings cap. You can get a statement credit of $150 for spending $1,200 in the first 90 days of account opening, and since the card comes with an introductory APR offer of 0% for 12 months on Purchases , that’s easy to do. After the introductory offer, the card has a 14.40% - 24.40% Variable APR on purchases . This card doesn’t have an annual fee.
Disadvantages: Good or excellent credit is required. To maximize rewards on this card, you do have to organize your spending well so you can shop heavily in the right category each quarter.
How Do You Get a Hotel Rewards Credit Card?
Hotel rewards credit cards aren’t limited to certain types of travelers or business staff. Anyone can apply for one. Whether or not you’re approved depends mostly on your credit history and score, so take a look at your free Credit Report Card to determine if you can make any improvements in that regard before you apply for a card. Most top-tier rewards cards call for good or excellent credit.
Once you’re confident you’ll be approved for a card, compare your options. Then, apply for the hotel rewards card that seems like the best fit for your spending style and travel needs.
Editorial disclosure: Reviews are as determined solely by Credit.com staff. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the reviewers and aren’t reviewed or approved by any advertiser. Information presented is accurate as of the date of the review, including information on card rates, rewards and fees. Check the issuer’s website for the most current information on each card listed.