[UPDATE: Some offers mentioned below have expired and/or are no longer available on our site. You can view the current offers from our partners in our credit card marketplace. DISCLOSURE: Cards from our partners are mentioned below.]
The Citi ThankYou Premier card is a rewards credit card that lets users earn points on everyday purchases. Triple points are earned for spending on travel, including gas, airfare, hotels, and car rentals; double points are earned for spending on restaurants and entertainment, and one point is earned for all other purchases.
(Full Disclosure: Citibank advertises on Credit.com, but that results in no preferential editorial treatment.)
ThankYou points can be redeemed for gift cards, merchandise, concert tickets, and airfare. Points are worth more when redeemed for airline tickets through the ThankYou travel center, and Points Transfer allows points to be put toward airline and hotel loyalty programs like Hilton HHonors and TrueBlue. As a signup bonus, members can earn 50,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 in the first three months of account opening.
This card has an annual fee: $95, waived for first 12 months*, no foreign transaction fees, and an APR of 16.24% - 25.24%* (Variable), based on your creditworthiness when you apply.
Pros & Cons of Citi ThankYou Premier
This card offers a competitive signup bonus with no annual fee for the first year of card membership. In addition, cardholders will continue to find value in this card by using it to earn bonus points in numerous categories such as travel, dining out and entertainment. When points are redeemed directly for travel reservations, they are worth more. Furthermore, it’s possible to earn additional value from points when they are transferred to airline miles. Finally, this card is a good choice for use overseas since it has no foreign transaction fees.
While it is an advantage to be able to transfer points to miles, this program is mostly partnered with foreign airlines at this time. Some of these frequent-flier programs provide good value, such as Singapore or the Flying Blue program of Air France and KLM. Nevertheless, most of the frequent-flier programs require large amounts of miles. And, as with all rewards credit cards, you can expect a higher interest rate and annual fee than with similar cards that don’t offer rewards.
Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Earn 60,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after you spend $4,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening
- Earn 3X Points on Travel, Including Gas Stations
- Earn 2X Points on Dining Out & Entertainment
- Earn 1X Points on All Other Purchases
- 60,000 Points are redeemable for $750 in airfare on any airline, anytime with no blackout dates when booked through the ThankYou® Travel Center, or $600 in gift cards when redeemed at thankyou.com
- No expiration and no limit to the amount of points you can earn with this card
- Points Transfer allows you to transfer points to participating airline loyalty programs
- No Foreign Transaction Fees on purchases*
Card Details +
Alternatives to the Citi ThankYou Premier Card
Although the Citi ThankYou Premier card is a great card for those who love travel, there are other options as far as credit cards go. Here is another credit card for you to review:
Barclaycard Arrival® Plus World Elite Mastercard®
- Enjoy 60,000 bonus miles after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 90 days and paying the annual fee
- Earn unlimited 2X miles on every purchase
- Book travel your way—no airline, seat or hotel restrictions—and redeem your miles for travel statement credits
- Get 5% miles back to use toward your next redemption, every time you redeem
- No foreign transaction fees
- International Chip and PIN for use at self-service chip terminals around the world
- Miles don’t expire as long as your account is open, active and in good standing
Card Details +
The Barclaycard Arrival® Plus World Elite Mastercard® offers 60,000 bonus miles if you spend $5,000 within the first 90 days that the account is opened-that’s a $600 travel statement credit. Miles can also be redeemed for cash back, gift cards, and merchandise. Purchases made with the card earn two times the miles on all purchases and cardholders also receive five percent miles back when they redeem miles. Miles never expire and they can also be used toward hotels, car rentals, and more. The card has no foreign transaction fees and a special balance transfer offer of Intro: 0% for first 12 billing cycles following each balance transfer that posts to your account within 45 days of account opening. The card has an ongoing APR of 17.74%, 21.74% or 24.74% variable based on your creditworthiness based on creditworthiness and an annual fee of $89.
Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard®
- Earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $2,500 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- New: Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at gas stations*
- New: Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent at restaurants*
- Earn 2 AAdvantage® miles for every $1 spent on eligible American Airlines purchases*
- New: Earn a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount after you spend $20,000 or more in purchases during your cardmembership year and renew your card*
- No Foreign Transaction Fees*
- First checked bag is free on domestic American Airlines itineraries for you and up to four companions traveling with you on the same reservation*
- Enjoy preferred boarding on American Airlines flights*
- Receive 25% savings on inflight food and beverage purchases when you use your card on American Airlines flights*
Card Details +
The Citi® AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite Mastercard® offers 50,000 miles for travel booked with American Airlines after spending $2,500 within the first three months of opening the account. Cardholders receive two times the miles on American Airlines purchases and purchases made at gas stations and restaurants along with preferred boarding. They also get the first checked back free for themselves and up to four other people traveling with them on domestic flights through American Airlines. Additionally, they receive 25% savings on purchases made in-flight on American Airlines. Cardholders can also earn a $100 American Airlines flight discount when they spend $20,000 or more in purchases during their cardmembership year and renew the card. The card has no foreign transaction fees and an annual fee of $99, waived for first 12 months*. The card’s ongoing APR is 17.74% - 25.74%* (Variable).
Before You Apply
If you meet the issuers’ credit requirements, comprehend the cards’ terms, and believe you can put the benefits to use, one of these cards may be right for you. If your credit doesn’t meet the card issuers’ requirements, we advise building your credit and applying when your scores have improved.
At publishing time, the Citi Thank You Premier Card, JetBlue Plus Card, Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite Mastercard, and Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World Elite Mastercard are offered through Credit.com product pages, and Credit.com is compensated if our users apply and ultimately sign up for this card. However, this relationship does not result in any preferential editorial treatment. This content is not provided by the card issuers. Any opinions expressed are those of Credit.com alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the issuers.
Note: It’s important to remember that interest rates, fees and terms for credit cards, loans and other financial products frequently change. As a result, rates, fees and terms for credit cards, loans and other financial products cited in these articles may have changed since the date of publication. Please be sure to verify current rates, fees and terms with credit card issuers, banks or other financial institutions directly.
This article was last updated on September 22nd, 2017. It was originally published February 29, 2015.