Sign up for your free account    Sign Up Now
From the Experts at

How to File Your Taxes for Free

Advertiser Disclosure

How to File Your Taxes for Free

You don’t have to pay big bucks to file your taxes. Here are four ways to file your taxes for free.

Use Paper Forms From the IRS

Filing your taxes for free is as simple as visiting your local library and picking up tax forms and booklets. Gather up your year-end forms from your employer, your financial institutions, your healthcare plan and any other records you may need for deducting medical expenses or charitable donations. Grab a pen and a calculator and fill in the tax forms using the instructions in the tax booklet. This is a good strategy for people who prefer paper and don’t mind paying postage for mailing in their tax return before April 15.

[Advertisement: Are old tax debts still haunting your credit report and having an unfair impact on your scores? Lexington Law to help you manage the credit repair process. Learn more about them here or call them at (800) 594-7441 for a free consultation.]

File Taxes for Free Via the IRS Website

You also can file your taxes for free online using a list on the IRS website of companies that use the Free File software. If your adjusted gross income is $60,000 or less you can use Free File software to e-file your tax returns. Anyone can use the online fillable forms, which are electronic versions of IRS paper documents.

Free Tax Help From VITA and TCE

The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who make $53,000 or less, persons with disabilities, the elderly and limited English-speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation and use e-filing to assist qualified individuals in their communities. The Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program provides free tax assistance to all but gives special priority to those over 60.The IRS-certified volunteers at TCE programs specialize in questions about pensions and retirement issues.

You can find a VITA site near you between January and April using the VITA or TCE Locator Tool or by calling 1-800-906-9887. Use IRS publication 3676-B, available on the website, to prepare for your visit.

There are plenty of nonprofits and other organizations that offer free tax help for qualified individuals. If you know of an organization that does this, please share it in the comments below.

Also Read: How to Get Your Free Annual Credit Report

Updated on January 22, 2015

Comments on articles and responses to those comments are not provided or commissioned by a bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by a bank advertiser. It is not a bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Please note that our comments are moderated, so it may take a little time before you see them on the page. Thanks for your patience.

  • Jack

    WRT “Free Tax Help:” AARP Tax Foundation should be added to list. There is no AGI limit, AARP membership NOT required, tax returns are electronically filed. See

    • Credit Experts

      Jack —
      Thanks for letting us — and our readers — know about that option.

Sign up for your free account. Learn More

Check Your Credit For FREE

Free Credit ScoreGet a FREE personalized credit check-up today.

Get Started – It’s Free!  

Certain credit cards and other financial products mentioned in this and other articles on News & Advice may also be offered through product pages, and will be compensated if our users apply for and ultimately sign up for any of these cards or products. However, this relationship does not result in any preferential editorial treatment.