No matter what your financial goals are, taking some time to consider whether the way you spend and save your money day-to-day is moving you closer to them is always a good idea. It’s easy to make goals, but often hard to keep them. If you need a little motivational boost, try turning your goal into a mantra or affirmation to help cultivate a mindset of abundance. For example, if your goal in the upcoming year is to save more and spend less, consider repeating to yourself “I have a positive relationship with money and know how to spend it wisely.” Doing so can combat negative, self-destructive thoughts, such as “I’m bad with money,” which ultimately don’t serve your goal.
Find a quote or affirmation that you connect with and make it your personal mantra. Repeating your mantra aloud or silently to yourself is a powerful manifestation technique. Save these images or share them to serve as an everyday reminder of the steps you’re taking toward improving your financial health and overall wellness.
If your goal is to save more money
- “If you’re saving, you’re succeeding.” –Steve Burkholder
- “A penny saved is a penny earned.” –Benjamin Franklin
- “Time well-spent results in more money to spend, more money to save, and more time to vacation.” –Zig Ziglar
- “Try to save something while your salary is small; it’s impossible to save after you begin to earn more.” –Jack Benny
- “More people should learn to tell their dollars where to go instead of asking them where they went.” –Roger Babson
- I am safeguarding my future.
- I save effectively and prudently.
- I am a successful money saver.
- My money is valuable.
If your goal is to curb your spending habits
- “Too many people spend money they haven’t earned to buy things they don’t want to impress people they don’t like.” –Will Rogers
- “Many folks think they aren’t good at earning money, when what they don’t know is how to use it.” –Frank A. Clark
- “The way to stop financial joyriding is to arrest the chauffeur, not the automobile.” –Woodrow Wilson
- “Every time you borrow money, you’re robbing your future self.” –Nathan W. Morris
- “Money is only a tool. It will take you wherever you wish, but it will not replace you as the driver.” –Ayn Rand
- “Wealth consists not in having great possessions, but in having few wants.” –Epictetus
- “Money doesn’t buy elegance. You can take an inexpensive sheath, add a pretty scarf, gray shoes and a wonderful bag, and it will always be elegant.” –Carolina Herrera
- “Don’t tell me what you value, show me your budget, and I’ll tell you what you value.” –Joe Biden
- “Frugality includes all the other virtues.” –Cicero
- “If we command our wealth, we shall be rich and free. If our wealth commands us, we are poor indeed.” –Edmund Burke
- I know how to spend my money wisely.
- I can manage my finances without fear.
- My money is what I make of it.
- I am in control of my finances.
If your goal is financial success
- “Money is usually attracted, not pursued.” –Jim Rohn
- “There is no monopoly on becoming a millionaire. If you’re jealous of those with more money, don’t just sit there and complain—do something to make more money yourself.” –Gina Rinehart
- “Financial fitness is not a pipe dream or a state of mind. It’s a reality if you are willing to pursue it and embrace it.” –Will Robinson
- “At least eighty percent of millionaires are self-made. That is, they started with nothing but ambition and energy, the same way most of us start.” –Brian Tracy
- “Money is multiplied in practical value depending on the number of W’s you control in your life: what you do, when you do it, where you do it, and with whom you do it.” –Tim Ferriss
- Money flows freely to me.
- Save mindlessly. Spend consciously.
- I am worthy of all that I desire.
- I choose to live a rich life.
- I am connected to the universal supply of money.
- Money comes easily and effortlessly to me.
- I am aligned with the energy of wealth and abundance.
- All of my actions push me closer to financial success.
If your goal is to live with less
- “Financial peace isn’t the acquisition of stuff. It’s learning to live on less than you make, so you can give money back and have money to invest. You can’t win until you do this.” –Dave Ramsey
- “It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor.” –Seneca
- “Empty pockets never held anyone back. Only empty heads and empty hearts can do that.” –Norman Vincent Peale
- “You must gain control over your money or the lack of it will forever control you.” –Dave Ramsey
- “Wealth, after all, is a relative thing since he that has little and wants less is richer than he that has much and wants more.” –Charles Caleb Colton
- “My favorite things in life don’t cost any money. It’s really clear that the most precious resource we all have is time.” –Steve Jobs
- “Money never made a man happy yet, nor will it. The more a man has, the more he wants.
- Instead of filling a vacuum, it makes one.” –Benjamin Franklin
- “It’s good to have money and the things that money can buy, but it’s good, too, to check up once in a while and make sure that you haven’t lost the things that money can’t buy.” –George Lorimer
- “Know what you own, and know why you own it.” –Peter Lynch
- “I’m not that lazy, but I don’t need that much money. I lead a fairly simple life.” –Karl Pilkington
- I already have all the money that I wish to have.
- Money supports me in my pursuit of a happy, balanced life.
- I make enough money to be happy.
If your goal is to give more
- “Money may not buy happiness, but it can damn well give it!” –Freddie Mercury
- “Success is not just making money. Success is happiness. Success is fulfillment; it’s the ability to give.” –Adam Neumann
- “Let us not be satisfied with just giving money. Money is not enough, money can be got, but they need your hearts to love them. So, spread your love everywhere you go.” –Mother Teresa
- “Making money is a happiness. And that’s a great incentive. Making other people happy is a super-happiness.” –Muhammad Yunus
- “For me, money is not my definition of success. Inspiring people is a definition of success.” –Kanye West
- “Greed is not a financial issue. It’s a heart issue.” –Andy Stanley
- “The trick is to stop thinking of it as ‘your’ money.” –IRS auditor
- Every dollar donated comes back to me tenfold.
- I shine my light to others through monetary gifts and good deeds.
- Having money enables me to do good in the world.
- I share my wealth because money flows to me easily, frequently and abundantly.
If your goal is to start a new career path
- “Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune.” –Jim Rohn
- “What we really want to do is what we are really meant to do. When we do what we are meant to do, money comes to us, doors open for us, we feel useful, and the work we do feels like play to us.” –Julia Cameron
- “If you don’t value your time, neither will others. Stop giving away your time and talents. Value what you know and start charging for it.” –Kim Garst
- “Fortune sides with him who dares.” –Virgil
- “Never confuse the size of your paycheck with the size of your talent.” –Marlon Brando
- “Do what you love and the money will follow.” –Marsha Sinetar
- I deserve to be paid for my time and skills.
- My career provides me with enough.
- I open my mind and heart so new opportunities will present themselves.
- Making money is easy because I choose to live my purpose.
If your goal is to practice more gratitude
- “Live like you’ll die tomorrow, work like you don’t need the money, and dance like nobody’s watching.” –Bob Fosse
- “I’m not motivated by money or power or fame. In the end, it doesn’t bring much happiness. The only thing that is driving me is self-satisfaction, self-validation.” –William Clay Ford, Jr.
- “A treasure is to be valued for its own sake and not for what it will buy.” –Graham Greene
- “There are people who have money and people who are rich.” –Coco Chanel
- There is more than enough money in my life.
- I am thankful for the abundance in my life.
- My life is rich with opportunity.
- I am prosperous.
- I am grateful for money for helping me lead a life I love.
If you simply want a reminder of what’s important
- “A wise person should have money in their head, but not in their heart.” –Jonathan Swift
- “I don’t want to make money. I just want to be wonderful.” –Marilyn Monroe
- “Time is more value than money. You can get more money, but you cannot get more time.” –Jim Rohn
- “All the money in the world can’t buy you back good health.” –Reba McEntire
- “Friends and good manners will carry you where money won’t go.” –Margaret Walker
- “For I don’t care too much for money, for money can’t buy me love.” –The Beatles
- “Happiness is not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort.” –Franklin D. Roosevelt
- “The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” –Anonymous
- “Too many people measure how successful they are by how much money they make or the people that they associate with. In my opinion, true success should be measured by how happy you are.” –Richard Branson
- “Money is a terrible master but an excellent servant.” –P.T. Barnum
- “The stock market is filled with individuals who know the price of everything, but the value of nothing.” –Philip Fisher
- I am more than my income.
- My value is more than my money.
If you just want a good laugh
- “I’m a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.” –Thomas Jefferson
- “Investing should be more like watching paint dry or watching grass grow. If you want excitement, take $800 and go to Las Vegas.” –Paul Samuelson
- “If you think nobody cares if you’re alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” –Earl Wilson
- “Dogs have no money. Isn’t that amazing? They’re broke their entire lives. But they get through. You know why dogs have no money? … No pockets.” –Jerry Seinfeld
- “Time is money. Wasted time means wasted money means trouble.” –Shirley Temple
- “I am having an out of money experience.” –Unknown
Whether we like it or not, money controls many aspects of our life—especially if we’re working to get out of debt—but it doesn’t have to control everything. Focusing on what’s important and letting go of the power money has over your happiness will go a long way in bettering your relationship to money. The new year is a great time to reflect and look ahead, but you can use these quotes anytime you need a little motivation throughout the year.