Article updated January 10, 2019
Recently, American Express revamped the American Express Gold Card. It comes with a whole new slew of premium rewards.
This beautiful credit card comes in either the traditional gold or a limited edition rose gold metal card. The new look and rewards that come with this card are meant to appeal to Millennials.
A few noteworthy benefits of this card include:
- 4X Membership Rewards Points on popular categories
- 35,000 bonus point welcome offer (after spending $4,000 on eligible purchases within the first three months of card membership)
- $100 annual airline statement credit
American Express® Gold Card
- Earn 35,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 3 months.
- Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points when you dine at restaurants worldwide. Earn 4X Membership Rewards® points at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $25,000 per year in purchases, then 1X). Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
- Earn up to a total of $10 in statement credits monthly when you pay with the Gold Card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Boxed, and participating Shake Shack locations. This can be an annual savings of up to $120. Enrollment required.
- $100 Airline Fee Credit: up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline.
- Choose to carry a balance with interest on eligible charges of $100 or more.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- Annual Fee is $250.
- Terms Apply.
Card Details +
What Are the Rewards?
One of the most valuable benefits of the American Express Gold Card is rewards. There is an opportunity to earn high rewards on spending in certain categories. Cardholders earn 4X the Membership Rewards points at U.S. restaurants. This is meant to appeal to Millennials who tend to be self-proclaimed “foodies.” Additionally, the card offers 3X the Membership Rewards points on flights booked directly with airlines or on amextravel.com.
Like other premium rewards cards, the American Express Gold Card also offers many benefits for shopping and traveling.
The American Express Gold Card offers generous rewards for travel and dining. You can earn up to $10 in statement credits on dining each month. This means cardholders can earn up to $120 yearly with participating dining partners. Some of these partners include:
- The Cheesecake Factory
- Shake Shack
- Grub Hub
- Ruth’s Chris Steak House
Cardholders also have the opportunity to earn $100 in statement credits for incidentals such as the baggage and airline fees. These statement credits make the earning potential on this card even higher!
The American Express Gold Card also offers card members car rental insurance, baggage insurance, global assistance, and roadside assistance. Perks include up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year for incidental fees at one selected qualifying airline. This card has no foreign transaction fees.
This card provides more protection when shopping. It comes with an automatic extended warranty, purchase protection, and return protection on purchases you make with your card. This can help reduce the stress associated with big purchases.
With the Amex Gold Card, you can get free two-day shipping with the ShopRunner program. ShopRunner has a network of 140 online retailers and is continuing to grow. This provides cardholders with a lot of options for their online shopping. And we know Millennials love their online shopping.
The card also comes with benefits that can be used for entertainment. Options such as reserved seating and ticket pre-sales are available to cardholders.
If you belong to the population of Millennials that love dining experiences, then you need to join the growing community of American Express Gold cardholders.
Between the rewards, statements credits, welcome offer, and other benefits that come with the card, the annual fee may very well pay for itself.
Remember that to qualify for a premium rewards card like the American Express Gold, you’ll need good or excellent credit. Luckily for you, Credit.com offers a free credit score that is updated every 14 days. Check yours now to see where you stand.
Rates and Fees of the American Express® Gold Card.